Beer, Chips and Cricket

This is a site about drinking beer, eating chips and thinking cricket. I am not a former player, a television commentaror or a journalist; my qualification to being worthy of hearing is that I drink a lot of beer, eat a lot of chips and think a lot about cricket. The thoughts need not be politically correct and often include colourful language but there will be no deliberate bias towards any player, community or state. I don't care about popular opinion or perceptions and I speak it as I see it.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Greg C - The Control Freak?

It was as sorry a way for a match to end as any. Though Pakistan seemed to be running away with it, a couple of wickets towards the end, including the Inzy "obstructing the field" wicket made it a bit closer. Even now I think that Pakistan still had the match in the bag but they smartly chose not to test the situation and take the win through the D-L method.

Nothing to say about the match coz I don't have the time. Just want to share something I saw in a program on TV ... on NDTV, a program called "Cricket Controversies". The program was about whether SRT and Ganguly should be treated the same considering their lack of form, and in that Dean Jones who was talking via satellite video (or whatever they call it). The discussion was also on another topic - whether Greg C is becoming a control freak kinda chap and whether somethign should be done about it.

Deano mentioned something which was pretty interesting - it seems Greg C has put a blanket ban on the team interacting with ex-players who want to pass on their expertise and instead wants these things routed through him. Supposedly he is pretty pissed off with some of the advice these ex-players are giving the current lot which goes contrary to what he himself wants in the team. No names were mentioned but I am taking a guess that one Mr. Sunil Gavaskar could be involved in this (but the doubt I get it - is SMG even in Pakistan since ESPN / STAR isnt in on this telecast ... if not then who else is this aimed at) coz SMG is definitely pissed off at Greg C as it shows from his columns.

Anyways, I don't say this is blind support but I support Greg C in this one too. See if someone wants a tip to overcome a technical glitch like head not being still or the bat coming down at an angle etc, I can understand that an expert ex-player would be useful. But if the guy, whoever he is, goes beyond that and starts advising the player on the way he should be playing ... e.g. - "play out the first 10 overs ... don't risk shots on the up in this period" etc might be very different from what Greg C wants from the player involved. Well, Greg C isn't making too many friends at the moment and this just adds to the legend of the grumpy old control freak image he is picking up.

My personal take on this - concentrate on results and not on whether Greg smiles at people or pats youngsters on the head and asks them if they want to be president when they grow up. The only directly involved people here r Greg C and the players and let them thrash it out amongst themselves. The more people start trying to advise the team management (Greg C / Dravid) on how they should be doing their job, the more hurdles they will be putting in front of them.

On the playing front, saw some welcome news today ... Ramesh Powar goes to Pak as cover for the injured Bhajji. Besides being a more-than-decent off spinner, this man packs a good punch in his batting and could be an asset in the late order. And defintely, seems to be a better bet than Karthik. I know Karthik seemed to be getting a raw deal under Gangs but I don't think he can say that now that the Dravid / Greg C combination have played him at every possible chance they get. Very soon, his cup of chances is gonna go empty and he will only have himself to blame.

Sreesanth ... I wrote in my previous post that he bowls plenty of hit-me balls in between some good balls ... he proved me wrong ... he bowled plenty of hit-me balls but he didn't really bowls too many good balls.

Chalo cheers guys ... next match on Saturday so the Chuckster can watch it live.

The Chuckster

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home