Beer, Chips and Cricket

This is a site about drinking beer, eating chips and thinking cricket. I am not a former player, a television commentaror or a journalist; my qualification to being worthy of hearing is that I drink a lot of beer, eat a lot of chips and think a lot about cricket. The thoughts need not be politically correct and often include colourful language but there will be no deliberate bias towards any player, community or state. I don't care about popular opinion or perceptions and I speak it as I see it.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Indian team looks good

I don't want to push it ... but the Indian team is looking pretty strong out there in the West Indies.

I had worries on two ends ... whether Uthappa would be upto scratch in International cricket ... after all, he hasn't been seen much in International cricket and to go into a world cup after 5 odd matches ... that is a bit scary.

Secondly, the form of Yuveraj ... coz when Yuveraj was in that awesome streak of form just before the West Indies tour, India looked unbeatable. I saw that 90 odd he scored against Sri Lanka a couple of matches back really made me feel good. He wasn't in terrific form in that match or something like that ... it is just that he got in that nice, long knock and towards the end, was looking very comfortable indeed. I can't expect miracles to occur and Yuveraj to get back his touch instantaneously ... but one good 90 odd against SL ... maybe a couple of good knocks against Bermuda and Bangladesh ... that oughta do him a world of good.

Apart from Yuveraj and Uthappa, I was always pretty comfortable with the rest of them ... the Sachins, the Gangulys and the Dravids cannot really change anything drastic in the next month or so ... they have always been good performers and I am sure all of them will come away with their reputations enhanced ... however, I believe it is these fringe players like Yuveraj, Uthappa and Dhoni who will tilt the scales in India's favour.

Mahender Singh Dhoni is beginning to look more dangerous as a player every time one sees him ... he is no longer about the huge hits and misses and that adds a dimension to his game that many teams might not be ready for.

I never thought I would say this a few months back but Ganguly at No. 1 sounds really dangerous to me. SRT at No. 3 or 4 sounds good too ... and I am not being sarcastic. I know the Indian batting could fold for 88 all out in 27 overs in the next match but if Ganguly, SRT, Dravid, Yuveraj, Dhoni and Sehwag / Uthappa cannot set huge targets or chase down virtually everything then I dunno who can. Definitely, this is better than having a Kaif or Dinesh Mongia as we did in the World Cup 2003 ... no offence to those two gentlemen.

On the bowling front, Munaf seems to be bowling better and better ... but I remember the last time someone stepped out to him and tried to take him to the cleaners, he looked clueless. I think this was during the Champions Trophy or something ... damn, memory is going. So if India and SL r gonna play a crunch game (in case Bangladesh decide to spring a surprise on everyone) then I would love to see Jayasurya vs. Patel.

BTW, did anyone notice the wierd format of the world cup? I assumed that in each group, at the end of the initial group matches, 2 teams from each group would go into the Super 8s ... and the matches of the Super 8s would be decided on who topped the pool and who came second ... in each group. Nopes ... seems that is not the way it is gonna be. For logistical reasons, it is already decided as to who will be Team 1 and Team 2 from each group .... of course that does't mean India or SL have been given a free entry into the Super 8s but it means that whether India tops the pool or SL does, if India qualifies, it will quality as "Team 2" from their group and if SL qualifies, then it will qualify as "Team 1" from their group, irrespective of whether they top the pool or not. I guess even for Bermuda and Bangladesh, it must be pre-decided as to whether they would be Team 1 or Team 2 in case they qualify for the Super 8.

Somehow that sounds wierd to me. Can they cover all the combinations possible by this kind of format? I wonder what happens if two teams that are slated at "Team 2" in their group qualify for the super 8 ... so wot happens then? Or maybe I have this Team 1 , Team 2 concept a bit wrong??? Guess will check it out from someone.

Chalo cheers

The Chuckster

3 Comments:

  • At Thursday, March 15, 2007 1:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How is india always team 2 even if they top the pool and vice versa for SL?

     
  • At Tuesday, March 20, 2007 1:46:00 PM, Blogger Amit said…

    Team 1 and team 2 funda is based upon ODI rankings as of April 2005. Ridiculous as it may sound, it is true. The only way India can not be team2 or B2 is if any of the lesser teams qualifies by beating india. That team will be B2. Similarly, any team which qualifies by beating SL will be B1. Actually Being one or 2 does not make much difference in this format since in the super 8s, you will have to face every qualifying team from the other group. Yes, schedules may change, but thats about it.
    And looks increasingly like B2 will be Bangladesh!!! sadly

     
  • At Thursday, March 22, 2007 9:53:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    REad my blog on why India will win tomorrow against SL. IT is all fixed

    BTW howz you doing chuck. Long time no see. I stopped going to Sulekha for good.

    http://indianbattinghater.blogspot.com/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home