Beer, Chips and Cricket

This is a site about drinking beer, eating chips and thinking cricket. I am not a former player, a television commentaror or a journalist; my qualification to being worthy of hearing is that I drink a lot of beer, eat a lot of chips and think a lot about cricket. The thoughts need not be politically correct and often include colourful language but there will be no deliberate bias towards any player, community or state. I don't care about popular opinion or perceptions and I speak it as I see it.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Sehwag's dilemna

Or should that be Dravid's dilemna? If u ask Sehwag, he will probably tell u he is one shot away from getting back into form. He has a career average of 31 and in 167 matches till date, he has gone above 50 runs (thus including 50s and 100s)31 times.

Everyone says he is a matchwinner ... Dravid says he is our only triple-centurion. Jadeja says he would always have Sehwag as the opener as he can take the match away from the opposition. My question - how many times has Sehwag been a match winner in ODIs? As a test batsman, his record is enviable but has he ever been that dangerous in the ODI format? It is news to me if that is so.

Yes, as a bowler he offers options but then so does Pathan. In the world cup, for me, the toss up is between Pathan and Sehwag. For me, the openers would always be Uthappa and Ganguly ... if Uthappa fails a couple of matches, then Sehwag or SRT might get a look into the opening slot but by the way the lad has performed in the recent past, the opening slot belongs to him right now. There is no way Sehwag or anyone else can fit in there, in my book.

Uthappa, Ganguly, SRT, Yuveraj, Dravid (always at no 5), Player X, Dhoni, Four bowlers ... that would always be my 11 ... and in such a case, player X can only be Sehwag or Pathan. Dinesh Karthick is someone who impresses me a lot but unless the team management insists on opening with Sehwag, then Uthappa might have to be pushed down ... and in that case Karthick sounds a better bet than Uthappa at No. 6 or 7. It is not that Uthappa can't bat there ... just that he never has ... and the world cup might not be the place for him to start wondering if he can.

I saw the warm up game against the WI ... Sehwag's dismissal was pathetic ... it wasn't as if the ball was a great delivery or something like that ... it was a decent ball and he slashed hard at it and got an edge through to the keeper ... what a phucking surprise ... LOL ... u might have wondered if u were watching a re-run of some previous match ... coz he does this countless number of times.

Anyways ... Dravid backing the guy is all very good ... but he should also not let this become an ego issue ... I will NOT drop Sehwag, come what may.

I hope, for India's sake, that Dravid makes the right choices!!!

Cheers

The Chuckster

1 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, March 13, 2007 7:55:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with most of your comments about sehwag. It is a toss up between sehwag and pathan. if you want to strengthen bowling, then include sehwag. if batting, then include pathan. wierd but that is the sad reflection of their recent form.

    my batting order - Sourav, Uthappa, Dhoni, Sachin, Dravid, Yuvraj, Sehwag/Pathan, Agarkar, Zaheer, Munaf, Harbhajan.

    Dhoni deserves to play at top of the order. And that is the difference between your batting order any my batting order.

    Muthu

     

Post a Comment

<< Home